WHY STUDY THIS COURSE?
WHAT DOES THIS QUALIFICATION COVER?
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
- Foundations in Biology: Cell structure, Biological Molecules, Enzymes, Biological Membranes, Cell Division and Differentiation.
- Exchange and Transport: Exchange Surfaces and Breathing, Transport in Animals, Transport in Plants.
- Biodiversity, Evolution and Disease: Communicable Diseases, Biodiversity, Classification and Evolution.
- Communication, Homeostasis and Energy: Excretion, Communication and Homeostasis, Neuronal Communication, Hormonal Communication, Plant and Animal Responses, Photosynthesis, Respiration.
- Genetics and Ecosystems: Cellular Control, Patterns of Inheritance, Manipulating Genomes, Cloning and Biotechnology, Ecosystems, Populations and Sustainability.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
To achieve an AS grade two exams will be taken at the end of Year 12.
To achieve an A2 grade three exams will be taken at the end of Year 13 (Y12 exams will be discounted).
Exams consist of a selection of multiple choice questions, short answers and extended responses. There is also a practical endorsement certificate that can be achieved by carrying out practical work throughout both years, awarded on completion of year Y13.
WHERE CAN IT LEAD?
Biology lends itself to a wide variety of courses and careers. Some of these include Biochemistry, Botany, Forensic Science, Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy, Ecology, Landscaping, Physiotherapy, Biomedical Engineering, Police Officer, Zoology, Marine Biology, Genetic Technologist.
The possibilities are endless!
Mr A Rogers
A separate grade 6 in Biology or combined science grade 76 with a grade 5 in Maths and English.
BTEC & Diplomas
Double BTECs & Diplomas