Unit 1 – Changing Awareness of Crime
The purpose of this unit is to plan campaigns for change relating to crime. Questions we will explore in this unit include:
- What different types of crime take place in our society?
- What types of crime are not as heavily reported in the media? Why?
- Many people learn about the fear and fascination of crime from the media, but is the media a reliable source of information?
- To what extent are we misled by our tastes in programmes and newspapers about crime?
Unit 2 – Criminological Theories
The purpose of this unit is to apply your understanding of the public perceptions of crime and campaigns for change studied in Unit 1 with criminological theories to examine how both are used to set policy. We will look at questions such as:
- How do we decide what behaviour is criminal?
- How do we explain why people commit crime?