Over the last few weeks, A Level Maths, Business and Geography student, William, has been learning all things Finance with the Finance Team at Wickersley Partnership Trust.
William has been working closely with WPT’s Senior Finance Manager, Steve, and has been learning about:
- Order Processing – requisitioning, order processing, authorisation process, submitting orders to suppliers, order delivery and authorisation
- Invoice Processing – invoice receipt and processing, invoice authorisation and approval
- BACs – approval process, 3 step verification and segregation of duties, payment of invoices, creating BACs files, uploading into banking system, approval process with Heads, approval process with the bank
- Payroll/Pension – brief insight into payroll and pensions, processes (daily, weekly and monthly), reporting through to final pay run
- Budgets/Forecasting – insight into how budgets are created, student numbers and forecasting, 5 year planning, revaluation of budgets each month, staffing profile
- Cashflow/Management Accounts/Month End Packs/Accounting Officer Packs – cashflow and how these are built up, Monthly End Packs and the controls and processes, Accounting Officer Packs for compliance
- Academies’ Accounts Return/Financial Handbook/ESFA Returns – brief inside into the AAR, FH and ESFA returns
William would like to go on to be a Quantity Surveyor – either through a degree apprenticeship or university – and felt that doing a placement in Finance was the most relevant to his future aspirations and interests.
He said: “I’ve found the Get Work Ready programme very useful as it’s linked with my future plans. I’ve learnt and developed multiple skills over the placement and gained vital experience.”