Why study this course?
Textiles at Wickersley is a really creative course. If you pick A Level Textiles at Wickersley you will explore a variety of Fashion and Textile techniques using a range of methods and materials.
What will I study?
You will learn to develop skills across a range of area(s) of Textile Design including:
- Printed and dyed fabric and materials (mono-printing, relief printing and/or screen printing)
- Tie-dye, batik, spraying, transfer printing
- Domestic textiles and wallpaper
- Interior design
- Constructed Textiles
- Textile installation
- Pattern cutting skills and dressmaking techniques
- Stitching (appliqué, patchwork, padding, quilting and/or embroidery)
You will also develop knowledge and understanding of:
- How ideas, feelings and meanings can be conveyed and interpreted in Textile Design
- How historical and contemporary developments and different styles and genres have developed and influenced fashion and textiles
- How fashion and textiles relate to social, environmental, cultural and/or ethical contexts, and to the time and place in which they were created
- Continuity and change in different styles, genres and traditions relevant to Textile Design
Students have the opportunity to go on a number of visits, including a visit to the Knitting & Stitching Show in Harrogate, and The Clothes Show Live at the NEC in Liverpool.
Students are expected to display their work in an end of year exhibition in the Textiles Gallery in the summer.
Students develop their own personal independent study in an area of particular interest. They work on a self-negotiated and independent creative project and write an extended essay on a subject of their choice.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is 60% coursework based and 40% exam based. Both include practical production of a final piece and sketchbook work.
Where can it lead?
Studying A Level Textiles can lead to a wide range of higher education and employment routes in Fashion and Textiles, including Fashion Design, Print Design, Pattern and Surface Design, Contour Design, Fashion Marketing and Styling, Costume Design and Fashion Photography.